Each year, the Academy of Business at Clairemont High School recruits between 60-70 business and community mentor volunteers who would like to give time and wisdom to our students. The Academy connects its 10th and 11th grade students with a mentor volunteer who can guide their academic and career decisions. Our academy students volunteer to be in the program, knowing they will be matched with a mentor for the year.
11th grade students are matched with a mentor one-on-one. 10th grade students work with mentors in small groups of three per one mentor. Mentors meet with students monthly on campus at Clairemont High. All session agendas, materials, and training are provided!
We are looking for wonderful mentors who want to participate in the Academy of Business Mentoring Program (AOB) at Clairemont High School. We have now 50 slots available for our AOB 11th Grade Mentor Program (one-on-one) and 20 slots available for our 10th Grade Mentor Program (small group).
If you are interested, time is short! The application window is now open and will close on Sept. 11th! Please see details below for more info and help us spread the word.
Click this link to register now on our AOB Mentor Application & Profile for 2015-16. (Note to returning mentors: you will only need to complete the contact info section of the application.)
MORE INFORMATION ON AOB MENTOR PROGRAMS:
- Please download our Mentor Program Fast Facts for a printable PDF of program details. (Also listed below).
- Please visit our Mentor Program Page to read more details about this year's Mentor Program Application Process and Commitment.
- Please take a look at the 2015-16 Mentor Session Schedules for the 11th Grade mentoring Program and 10th Grade Mentoring Program with exact dates and times of all meetings this year. (NOTE that meetings with students this year will be held on Mondays).
- Are you a returning Mentor from last year? Good news! We have shortened the application process for you! All you need to do is provide your updated contact info, and we will pull all other records from last year's profile! Please apply online today on our Mentor Application & Profile Form 2014-15.
- Our academy students are 10th and 11th graders at Clairemont High's Academy of Business who volunteered to be in the program, knowing they would be matched with a mentor.
- Mentoring is a one-year commitment from September 2015 – June 2016
- Mentor-student sessions are once per month (pre-scheduled dates) on Mondays.
- Mentor-student sessions are held at Clairemont High and last for a duration of 1-2 hours; meeting agendas are already planned.
- Mentor-student sessions are held in the early or late mornings: 10th grade sessions from 8:15 am - 9:30 am and 11th Grade sessions from 11:15 am - 12:30.
- The Academy offers two types of mentoring (mentors must choose): one-to-one mentoring (11th gr) and small group mentoring (10th gr).
- In order to participate, mentors must (1) apply online (returning mentors have a shortened app), (2) complete a LiveScan fingerprinting, (3) attend orientation (see dates below or on web), and then you will be carefully matched to a mentee student or student group.
- The deadline to apply for mentoring during the 2015-16 school year is Fri Sept 11 by 5pm
- Mentor Orientations (mandatory for all new mentors and returning that did not mentor in 2014-15) are on Wed Sept 16 or Thur Sept 17 from 8:00 am - 9:30 am (choose one to attend)
- The first mentor-student session of the 2015-16 school year is Monday Sept 21.
Mentor-Student Session Details:
- Commitment: Mentors make a year-long, one meeting per month commitment from Sept 2015 – June 2016. It is important that mentors attend each session.
- Location: Sessions are held at Clairemont High School, supervised by AOB staff
- Dates: Monthly sessions are usually on Thursdays. Exact dates are already scheduled and can be found on our website at AcademyCHS.org.
- Times: Sessions are held on Monday mornings: 10th grade sessions from 8:00 am - 9:30 am and 11th grade sessions from 11:15 am - 12:30.
- Session Topics: Agendas are pre-planned, one-hour activities that focus on topics such as: Self-Esteem, SMART Goals, Academic Success, Action-Planning, College Exploration, Time Management, Career Aptitude, Interview Skills, Job Shadowing, and more. See attached Mentor Session Schedule for exact dates and topics at each meeting.
For much more detailed information about the program objectives, mentoring guidelines, application process, exact meeting dates and times, and detailed agendas for meeting activities, please visit our Mentorships Page or go to our Academy of Business website www.academyCHS.org and click on the link in the right sidebar.
We hope you will consider being a mentor and changing a life this year. Please share this information with friends and coworkers who might also be interested in the mentor program.
Ready to sign up? Click this link to register now on our AOB Mentor Application & Profile for 2015-16. All questions can be directed to program coordinator: Liz Rush at this email: email@example.com.
Important Dates for 2015-16:
- Friday, September 11 by 5pm: Deadline to apply for mentoring during the 2015-16 school year.
- Wed. September 16 or Thur. September 16: Mentor Orientations., 8am at Clairemont High. Choose one to attend; mandatory for all new mentors and returning that did not mentor last year.
- Monday September 21 at 8:15 am and 11:15 am. The first kick-off mentor-student sessions of the 2015-16 school year.